December 23, 2009

New Lane Opens on I-95 around DC


Anyone who drives I-95 through or around Washington DC knows there is no end to the traffic, congestion and construction. A little good news came this week. According to the Virginia Department of Transportation a new, fourth lane on Interstate 95 northbound opened. The new lane starts at the U.S. 1 on-ramp near the Woodbridge exit, just beyond the bridge over the Occoquan River. That means Northbound drivers will now have four general traffic lanes on I-95 once they reach Woodbridge.

The new lane can handle an additional 1,500 vehicles an hour along I-95 north. That can save 5 to 10 minutes off the travel time for all drivers, according to VDOT.

This is the first completed section of the $123 million I-95 Fourth Lane Widening Project, a state- and federally-funded expansion of I-95 from three to four lanes from the Fairfax County Parkway to State Route 123.

When finished, I-95 will have four lanes in both directions from the Springfield Interchange to Woodbridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. We'll post it after our moderator takes a look. We need to do this to keep away Spammers.